By Christine Lorraine Morgan, October 25, 2022
THIS HISTORICAL MARKER AT THE FOOT OF CASCADE STREET TELLS A VERY ENLIGHTENING TALE OF ERIE’S BAYFRONT PAST.
“CASCADE CREEK ~
Cascade Creek is the last of Erie’s three
original creeks. Its western location saved
it from being completely compromised by
urbanization. Cascade Creek flows along the
Bayfront Parkway and into a delta behind
the western dock. In 1813, Daniel Dobbins
established a shipyard at the mouth of the
creek where the flagships Lawrence and Niagara
were built. The military shipyard later
became a commercial boat building center.
The western dock, where U.S. Navy ‘yard
ferry class’ ships were built during World
War II, continued as a shipbuilding and
repair facility until the 1980s. Cascade
Creek itself has enjoyed a renaissance with
local environmental groups having improved
water quality to the point where trout have
returned to the watercourse.”
Man-made structures were removed in the bottom photo to offer a glimpse of what that spot on the bayfront might have looked like when Dobbins was building ships there. All three photos were taken at the foot of Cascade Street on 10/24/2022.