Yes, the shoreline of Presque Isle Bay nearly reached the Wayne Blockhouse as is apparent in this 1880 photo! Garrison Hill, which is slightly to the east of this photo, was a natural location for troops to build forts when Erie was being settled because it offered natural protection on the north by water, and also allowed sentries to see approaching vessels.
Today in 2022 the Bayfront Parkway, various industries and a waste water treatment facility are all located behind the blockhouse! How did that happen? Progress. That’s how. At some point between 1880 and 1985 the area north of the blockhouse was filled in.
NOTE: This photo is 1/2 of a stereoscopic view which was heavily edited. It was originally posted at eriehistory.org
* Freelance Writer Xtraordinaire
* Producer of 300+ youtube videos
* Cellist and bassist
* Over 4,000 photos on Google maps viewed 300,000,000 times
* Army veteran stationed in Bangkok, Thailand
* Creative director for trainumentary.com and pugrealitytv.com
* Former Advertising Executive, REALTOR, TV Producer, and Majority Inspector of Elections for Millcreek's 5th Ward, Erie County, PA.
Also check out trainumentary.com and pugrealitytv.com
* See her complete video collection at: